Tuesday, February 1, 2011

late night hashbrowns- mistake or genius?


Since the day I moved in to my current house, I spied a bag of hashbrowns in the freezer. Like, it hung out in the freezer and practically taunted me. They have gone unclaimed for about 3 months and trust me, it took a lot of self control to not just cook them. I'm really into hashbrowns.

I don't know exactly inspired it, but my housemate Hillary suggested that we just cook them. It was 11 pm and I guess it was time for an almost midnight snack. We threw it together and enjoyed it while watching "I Used to be Fat" (because "You're Cut Off" wasn't on).  Try out this creation if you too have a bag of mysterious hashbrowns chilling out in your freezer (whoa, I just made a funny and didn't even try).

Hil and Hel's Gross-good Hashbrowns
1 tablespoon of veg oil and an obscene amount of butter (at least 2 tablespoons)
1 bag of frozen hashbrowns. this is what we used, but I'm sure you could be a real person and grate the potatoes yourself or use something of a higher quality than what we used. ha
2 small onions roughly chopped up
1/4 bell pepper chopped up
cheese of your choice (pinch, fistfull, whatever!)

Lets the l-o-l's begin
1. Heat up the oil/fats in a large pan
2. When butter starts to sass you and make noises or smell nutty, add the onions and peppers. Let them fry around for about a minute.
3. Add the hashbrowns. cook to your liking. I like mine really brown and this took an amount of time that I do not quite remember since Hil and I were chatting away. 10 minutes?
4. After hashbrowns are browned, add cheese. how much? who knows. Which kind? I did mozzarella but I'm sure many other cheese options would be good too
5. Serve it with salsa or be a real college kid, and eat it with packets of ketchup you stole from BK.

giggles
HK

No comments:

Post a Comment