Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Helen's glorified fudge


OK

So I always talk about my brownies, which I lovingly refer to as glorified fudge. Why is that Helen? Funny you ask...it's because I love my brownies super chewy, stick to your teeth, chocolatey and underbaked. And YES they are delicious this way! They are made with barely any flour, and if you eat them hot out of the oven, you better use a spoon because it is literally just like warm fudge.

Really, make them yourself. This is my own recipe that I have perfected after much trial and error, so I promise it is no fluke! I will admit I was inspired by a former co-worker who was attending culinary school. Shout out to Liam just in case you ever see this.
If you are really nice to me or if I'm feeling really nice, I'll make these for you as a gift from my heart. <3


Glorified Fudge
1 stick sweet cream butter (also known as unsalted)
1 bar semisweet baker's chocolate (about 3.5 ounces or 100 g)
1 cup (or 1 1/4 cup if you like things sweet...but brownies are about the chocolate and candy is about the sweet, right?) granulated sugar
2 eggs MUST BE ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 cup flour
1/2 cup (two handfuls....if you have hands my size) chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (PURE, HK does not play games)

create
1. Preheat oven to 360ยบ F. Get a 9x13 or 8x8 pan ready by buttering it up.
2.  Melt butter with chocolate, I use the microwave most of the time, but I have done the double boiler before when I feel inspired. Either will work,
3.  Transfer butter chocolate goop to mixing bowl and add sugar. Stir until well mixed. Sugar doesn't have to melt. And, most of the time, it won't.
4. Carefully temper and incorporate the eggs into butter/choc. How do I do this? Take a small amount of butter/choc mixture and stir into room temperature eggs. Then, stir this mixture back into the mixing bowl with the rest of the butter/choc.
5. Optional: stir in vanilla if you want to use it. I can never tell the difference myself, so it's up to you.
6. Stir in chocolate chips. This is not optional.
7. Spread batter evenly in a baking tin and bake for 16 minutes if using the 9x13; 20 minutes if using the 8x8, or until the top is slightly cracked if your oven is uneven/messed up.
Note: baking for this suggested amount of time will leave you with GLORIFIED FUDGE, but if you want real brownies you can add on 2-3 extra minutes of baking time. But, let's be real who wants that?


The secret recipe is out.

just eat,
HK

PS- shoutout to Sky my baking buddy on this project. Props to her for baking with me and taking/providing the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment