Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adult Tuna Salad






Hi all,

I love a good sandwich. It's so easy to get stuck in the cold cut rut, just eating deli meats on sandwiches. This does not have to be your lunchtime destiny- there are countless "salad" options for sandwiches. Personally, I'm a fan of tuna salad, chicken salad, and egg salad. Weird thing about me, though, is the fact I don't really like mayonnaise. It kinda grosses me out (it's anonymous congealed fat if you think about it). It can taste good and I ate a lot of sandwiches with the thin film of mayo that made packed lunch sammies soggy by recess. . .but when I started making my own sandwiches I abandoned the goop. Naturally, there is a conundrum: how can I enjoy tuna salad if I'm anti mayo? Well, silly, there is such a thing as no mayo tuna salad. Shocking, but I promise it's good. Give it a whirl!

Adult (No Mayo) Tuna Salad

1 pouch (2.6 oz is what I use) white albacore tuna (in water)
1/2 cup diced onion
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
half a lemon
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
salt and pepper

1. Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat. Once pan is hot, dump in onions. Stir around, until onions start to brown slightly. This will take about 5 minutes. We aren't trying to caramelize these onions, so no need to cook them that long. Sprinkle in the parsley, making sure to crush the parsley flakes by rubbing between your fingers (this helps the flavor come out because it'll release oils, or something like that). Stir to mix the goodness. Squeeze some lemon juice over the onions while they are still hot. No need to use all the juice of the half lemon (unless you like a lot of lemon in your tuna salad). Let onions cool.
2. After onions are cool (can be warm, just not hot as if they came straight out of the pan), mix the onion mixture with the tuna and the pickle relish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if you like more acidity.
3. Serve over a toasted roll/bun OR a nice butter lettuce salad mix OR both (butter lettuce with tuna salad on a bun yum). This is quite tasty on its own too.
4. Enjoy. 

I'll try to post more than once a month. kthanksbai

<3HK

No comments:

Post a Comment